Ethan's primary focus at Stockton & Stern, LLC is in the areas of elder law, probate, and estate planning, with a particular interest in special needs trusts. Ethan is responsible for meeting with prospective clients to determine how the firm can accommodate their needs, drafting the estate plan that will best serve the client's goals, and conducting annual review meetings where the client can meet with Ethan free of charge to review estate plans to make sure everything is up-to-date and still capable of meeting the client's goals, however they may change through the years.
Ethan earned his B.S. in both Biology and Environmental Science from Northern State University in South Dakota and his J.D. from the University of Kansas School of Law in 2017. While a student, Ethan was Managing Editor of the Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy, a KU Law Dean’s Fellow, and a Legal Research Assistant for Dr. Andrew Torrance. During the summers, he interned for a private practice, full-service firm; the Kansas Medical-Legal Partnership at KU Medical Center; and the Elder Law division of Kansas Legal Services. All these experiences gave him an appreciation for using the law to take advantage of “the now” to best plan for the future. Before joining Stockton & Stern, LLC, Ethan began his legal career clerking for Chief Justice Lawton Nuss of the Kansas Supreme Court. There he gained invaluable behind-the-scenes experience with the highest court in the land and learned how the judiciary can most effectively serve the people.
Ethan is passionate about taking full advantage of our Earth’s natural resources and enjoys trips to State and National Parks, where he is an avid hiker and hammock-napper. His favorite hike is the Zion Narrows in Zion National Park, Utah. He also enjoys international travel and—true to his nature—he is always planning his next trip abroad. Busan, South Korea has been his favorite trip so far.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning: Wills, Trusts, VA Benefit Planning, Medicaid Planning, Special Needs Trusts, Power of Attorneys, Living Wills, Asset Protection
- Probate Law: Guardianships, Conservatorships, Will Contests, Estate Administration, Trust Administration, Other General Probate Proceedings
- Kansas, 2017
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 2017
University of Kansas School of Law , Lawrence, Kansas
- J.D. - 2017
- Honors: Janean Meigs Memorial Award, George Gary Duncan Scholastic Achievement Prize, CALI Award in Environmental Law, CALI Award in Biodiversity Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- KC LEGAL
- Mid-America LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- Please, Don’t Let Me Drone On: The need for federally-led and state-collaborated action to promote succinct and efficient drone regulations, Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy, Vol. 26, p. 48 (2016).